JOB TITLE: STAFF ATTORNEY
Job Title: Staff Attorney
Position Type: Full-Time
About BlueRibbon Coalition: BlueRibbon Coalition is a national 501c3 non-profit that champions responsible use of public lands and waters for the benefit of all recreationists by educating and empowering its members to secure, protect, and expand shared outdoor recreation access and use. Our work emphasizes supporting motorized recreation use. We accomplish this mission through a heavy focus on litigation, administrative advocacy, and influencing legislative developments at the federal, state, and local levels.
Position Overview: BlueRibbon Coalition is seeking an experienced and motivated Staff Attorney to join our team. The Staff Attorney will play a key role in our fight to keep public lands and waters open by providing legal expertise, representation, and support for several lawsuits a year related to recreation access to public lands and waters. The ideal candidate will have a sound understanding of administrative law and environmental law (or a desire to become an expert in these areas) with a desire to use their knowledge to be a force for good for making public lands and waters more accessible to all Americans. The Staff Attorney will work closely with the Policy Director to influence administrative rulemakings and legislation at the federal, state, and local levels. The Staff Attorney will also work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to build a legal center within BlueRibbon Coalition that regularly launches successful legal challenges at the administrative, district, and appellate court levels, to ensure that the American people have access to the benefits of outdoor recreation on public lands.
The Staff Attorney will join a motivated and innovative team of outdoor recreation enthusiasts, who are passionate about our cause. Since we believe that solid on-the-ground knowledge is essential for making strong legal arguments, we will be looking for a candidate who enjoys going on outdoor adventures to conduct field work. The position will require occasional travel to destinations mostly in the rural West and Washington D.C. The position is 100% remote, and we prioritize work/life balance. We work hard and play hard with unlimited PTO. The position offers a matching 401K program and a technology allowance to accommodate remote work. If you’re an attorney who loves the outdoors, we’re looking forward to reviewing your application for this unique opportunity.
Salary Range (Depending on Employee Contributions to 401K): $79,000 – 106,000
- Legal Advocacy:
- Provide legal counsel and representation to BlueRibbon Coalition and its members in several cases a year to expand and enhance access to public lands and waters. We work heavily with the Bureau of Land Management, U. S. Forest Service, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Reclamation. We also work with state and local agencies on occasion.
- Conduct legal research and analysis to support case strategy.
- Draft and file legal documents – including pleadings, motions, briefs, public comments, etc.
- Administrative Advocacy
- Review Administrative proceedings and rulemakings with Policy Director.
- Advise Policy Director on drafting public comments for administrative rulemakings.
- Ensure compliance with administrative processes.
- Policy Advocacy
- Monitor major legislative developments that would impact BlueRibbon Coalition and its members.
- Work with Executive Director, Policy Director, and Board of Directors to develop innovative legislative proposals that will improve outdoor recreation policy for BlueRibbon Coalition and its members.
- Client Engagement
- Communicate effectively with clients, ensuring they are informed and empowered throughout the legal process
- Develop innovative strategies to educate BlueRibbon Coalition members on ways to strengthen legal standing.
- Community Outreach:
- Engage in outreach activities to raise awareness of legal rights and resources.
- Help BlueRibbon Coalition with its mission to educate members. The ideal candidate will want to become a recognized thought leader in the body of law that impacts our members.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission to the bar (Ideally in a western state with substantial public land).
- 5-7 years of experience practicing law. A focus on administrative law and/or environmental law is preferred but not required.
- Strong research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Outdoor recreation enthusiast that supports broad recreation access for all outdoor recreation users – including motorized recreation users.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include “Staff Attorney Application – [Your Name]” in the subject line.
Deadline for Application: Applications will be accepted until February 15, 2024. Early applications are encouraged.
BlueRibbon Coalition is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.